Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Learning Document Management: Better Late Than Never

I love that my work is constantly challenging me in new ways. I've worked on projects in the past, but I've never worked on ones that involve as many different people as one that I'm currently in the middle of.

On a daily basis, we are sending documents back and forth and then those documents get revised and sent back and forth. Needless to say, there is confusion on all sides regarding what documents are out there, which ones are which, and which ones are the most recent.

As a result, our PM (Project Manager) has introduced our group to the art of Document Management. This is something that speaks to me since I have a background working in libraries. It is all about the naming conventions of our files and tracking of versions. It still seems a bit overwhelming to get the sea of documents that exist under control, but as pointed out in my last blog post, we can treat today as Day 1 and move forward from here.

How do you manage your digital files out there? On a related note, do you have any secret tricks for bringing order to shared drives?

No comments:

Post a Comment